Sunday, July 26, 2009

Steamed Salmon and Broccoli

Since I just now made this blog to share all my favorite recipes, I thought I would start with the easiest one in the bunch! Plus, this is what I had for dinner tonight, so I took some pictures...the lighting is horrible, hopefully I will get better at food photography.


I love this dish, but I only get to eat it when I am on my own for dinner. Scott openly dislikes Salmon (and broccoli for that matter), so I can never assault him with a meal like this.

Start to finish:
about 20 minutes (cooks in about 10 minutes)

Ingredients:
1 Salmon filet, no bones!
as much broccoli as you care to eat
2 lemons
salt
pepper
Bamboo steamer, or some kind of steamer
Wax paper for easy clean up

Serves: 1

Fill a skillet big enough for the bamboo steamer to sit in with about 3/4" of water.

Rinse Salmon filet and pat dry. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Slice one lemon into 1/4 inch slices. Cover the filet with a few slices of lemon, and squeeze the rest into the water and drop them in there. Make sure to use the ends of the lemon by turning the rind side to the pan and squeezing the oils into the water, this will make the lemon flavor permeate into the fish and broccoli.

Place the bamboo steamer into the pan, on top of the lemon and water. Make sure that the water is not coming up through the steamer. Can you see the lemon down in there?

Turn on the heat, place the bamboo lid on, and wait for the water to come to boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer. Place the filet on a piece of folded wax paper (easy clean up!) and put it into the steamer, replace the lid. Time it for about 5 minutes. Place the broccoli on a piece of folded wax paper, and put it next to the salmon when the first 5 minutes is up. Time it for 5 more minutes. Done! The ten minutes for the salmon and 5 minutes for the broccoli will give you medium- medium rare salmon and broccoli that still has crunch.

Cut the other lemon into wedges to serve along side your salmon and broccoli. I like to squeeze it on both!

Do not overcook the salmon! If you overcook salmon, you may as well have opened a can of tuna.

Enjoy!!

1 comment: